Thursday, April 2, 2020

Allies Aren't Needed

Some thoughts to be added to my Players Guide™… Words are swords. Swords can be very cool, can be art, and can be beautiful. They can cut, can pierce, and can embed deep within. The best use of swords is for friends to get together, bringing effective protection, and blunted, harmless blades, with which to spar. The players at my table spar, some very enthusiastically. The banter we have is great. That said, sometimes people come in with less protection than is needed. Harder times can thin the armor. Alternatively, and perhaps for similar reasons, people might bring a sharper weapon than is always safe.
I am not saying, “Stop it.” Anger, frustration and “unsafe” speech are normal. Having hard times is normal, everyone does at some time. However, if you are seeking allies against another person at the table (not talking about in game characters), then I would ask you to stop. Instead, you are empowered as players in my game to literally stop the game, so that an issue can be brought forward and dealt with. I bet that’s nothing you ever thought you would read on a D&D page. If there is an issue, then let’s address it within our entire group. If you don’t feel you can do that, well, I run an adult game. Last time I checked, everyone at my table was over 25. We are also pretty close friends. So, if in the future, something comes up, then let’s go public with it. Secret alliances are not, or at least are no longer, available.

No comments:

Post a Comment