Friday, July 12, 2019

Let's Make Fun of Geeks

I have had a couple of players who openly discuss their lack of lives. If you commit to play D&D then you obviously have no life. Surely there is some other life that you should be living. If your life was better, then you wouldn't have to condone to play D&D every week.

I know these players never really think about what they are saying. These are good people. They do good things. I enjoy their company. In fact, when my best friend says "I have no life" when he considers playing in an additional game, I think that he is joking. He is making fun of what used to be the external, stereotypical point of view of geeks.

It is only now that I am calling these players out. If they truly think that playing D&D is an unworthy commitment or worse, then they cannot think much of people who happily commit to playing. Furthermore, it speaks of someone who has low self-respect, as in, "Yes, I play this game and therefore I have no life." Respect yourself, dammit.

This is only one instance of several where such thoughtless, disrespectful words have been spoken at my table. It's not funny anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment